Day 6

Do-do-do-dopey’s are back on the blog again to tell y’all about the big hole we climbed today!!

Last night we arrived at the Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona to witness a beautiful array of colors over a landscape that you can’t even fathom!!! We watched the sun fall behind the walls of the canyon as we sat filled with awe. After taking a variety of pictures with our fellow participants and counselors, we headed towards our campsite to begin our preparation for the physically and mentally intensive hike that we are partaking in today!



Counselors and Grant!!
 Before we went to sleep, we packed breakfast and lunch for the next day. Breakfast consisted of peanut butter bagels, a clementine orange, and a banana to give our bodies the proper nutrients for the day. For lunch we all packed peanut butter sandwiches with an orange, apple, nabs, granola bars, to keep our strength throughout the day. We also were given sweets from the counselors such as jolly ranches and mints for quick energy and to keep our mouths from drying out!

As we rested our heads to sleep, we looked upon a gaping sky full of stars and constellations that were unbelievably gorgeous!

Our elk friend who hung out around our campsite!

We woke up at 3:30 AM this morning to begin our hike into one of the seven natural wonders of the world!!! We separated into three groups, depending on which hike the participant chose to do. Jon Alliss and Matt Harkey took a group of eight participants and hiked to Plateau Point (a total of 12 miles) in a total of six and a half hours! That's honestly a record!!


The Bright Angel Trial, the trail we hiked!
Matt Wilfong, "Eugene" took the biggest group into the canyon for a hiking total of six miles! Hannah Tulloch and Dallas Godbold took the final group of participants into the canyon on a hike that was a total of three miles. The hike down was much easier for everyone hiking than the hike back up. While the rest of the group headed out to their hike, Caleb Mann got to sleep in, due to an injured ankle, but was woken up by an elk munching on his foot, much to his surprise. After getting the elk to stop chewing on his sleeping bag, he spent several minutes playing tug-o-war with the elk and a tarp!! 

Caleb Mann and his new elk friend!

Caleb Mann's wake up call!


The 3 mile crew!!!!

Charlie's Angels with fruit!!

The 3 mile crew encouraging and pushing each other to get out of the canyon!! SO AWESOME!! 
After hiking the Grand Canyon feeling unwell with 3 nosebleeds, Logan Mantooth is nothing short of a TROOPER!!! His spirit to hike that canyon was insipring!


Eugene with the 6 mile crew!

The 6 mile crew in the canyon!
The 12 mile crew!! They conquered the canyon!!! Tanner Hester, Jon Alliss, Bennet Estes, Nick Richard, Jordan Carlson, Tristan Brock, Tyler Sellers, Brogan Brown, Matt Harkey, Leah Mosher!

12 mile crew!!!

Nick Richard checking out his new friend in the canyon!

Looks like Jon also made a new friend!

POST 12 mile hike!!! They look a little tired???
When everyone got back to camp, we spent the day taking one of the most amazing showers that we have ever had, doing our laundry for the first time, and recovering from the physically straining activities done during the day! The most rewarding part of the day though, was being able to call home to our families and friends to tell them about the amazing time we are having, how much we miss them and how cool it is to travel the country with our new family!! Some people got pretty emotional when they were able to talk to their families!

Jada Prichard using the old fashioned pay phone!! 

 Around 12:00pm, we were fed the world famous Deaton Stew which consisted of the whole kitchen sink such as: carrots, green beans, tomatoes, beef, Cheetos, potatoes, pop tarts, chips, mustard, string beans, gummies, and seasonal vegetables! Many were skeptical about the strange dish, but to our amazement the stew was filling and delicious. Finally, some real food!!!


Eugene, Grant, and Mr. G making Deaton Stew!!
After filling our empty bellies, we spent the rest of the day recovering, napping, hydrating and exploring the campsite. 

There was some major excitement today at the campground!!! Nate Craven was cutting a stick with a pocket knife that resulted in him slicing his thumb open and having to get SIX STITCHES right there in the Grand Canyon Clinic!!!
Nate Craven about to get stitched up!

As nighttime came upon us, we met at the picnic tables for a sing along and an informative talk about the days to come. We all began to prepare for the next day where we will travel to Sin City…Las Vegas.


The boys love sing-a-longs!!

Half of Tristen Brock, John Gray Blount, Jenna Bright, Blessid Snow, and Sarah McCarty ready to sing!

All smiles!!!

Grant, Jon, and Eugene leading the sing-a-long with their awesome guitar skills!

To end this blog, here are quotes from all of the TWBers about their {grand} experience in the Grand Canyon:

“Honestly, the Grand Canyon is indescribable. I have never seen something so beautiful. You can’t look at it and not know there is a God. Truly unbelievable.:
-Cameron Ray, Whiteville, NC

“It was breathtaking. Watching the sunrise in the canyon, nothing can describe it.”
-Liza McIntyre, Laurinburg, NC

“Nothing can compare to the sheer beauty of the canyon.”
-Bailey Sloop, Laurinburg, NC

“Breathtaking view but the hike was pretty rough!”
-Cayla Gregory, Union, SC

“It was pretty neat.”
-Griffin Law, Raleigh, NC

“Grand people, grand experience; it is not a wonder that we would go to the Grand Canyon.”
-Alex Marsicovetere, Indian Land, SC

“I honestly don’t know what took my breath away more- looking at how beautiful the canyon was or hiking it.”
-Kenley Hazel, Roxboro, NC

“Nothing will ever feel as good as the 96 second pee that I took at the bottom. Yes, I timed it.”
-Nick Richard, Mooresville, NC

“I’m constantly in awe of how powerful my savior is, but when I saw the Grand Canyon, I couldn’t grasp the beauty my God before my eyes.”
-Emma Parson, Indian Trail, SC

“It was an experience you can’t understand until you have done it.”
-Rylee Gaus, Mooresville, NC

“GOD IS ONE HECK OF AN ARTIST.”
-Aubrie Miller, Beaufort, SC

“One of the best experiences of my life with some of the best people.”
-Camryn Bernhardt, Mooresville, NC

             “Don’t sprint.”
-Bryce Curtis, Gastonia, NC

“One tip, don’t jog.”
-Andersen Crowder, Gastonia, NC

“Keep pushing.”
-Andrew Prachar, Gastonia, NC

“God, the ultimate artist.”
-Bennett Estes, Charlotte, NC

“Hey y’all! Wanna take a break here?”
-Brogan Brown, Irmo, SC

“Honestly it was a life changing hike.”
-Lillie Griffin, Mooresville, NC

“I felt like I was inside an apple screensaver.”
-Ashley Weinstein, Charlotte, NC

“It was truly amazing to see God’s beautiful creation, but the hike was not so pleasant.”
-Taryn Jenkins, Cherryville, NC

“Thanks to the British couple for letting me use their walking sticks, without them I would’ve died.”
-       Maddie Cabe, Mooresville, NC

“I have never felt this awful, but I have also never felt this great.”
-       Abby Copeland, Mooresville, NC

“Marked that one off the bucket list.”
-       Nate Craven, Gastonia, NC

“I didn’t get to hike, but the sunrise was the most beautiful thing that I have ever seen.”
-       Natalie Tillis, Rockingham, NC

“That was kind of hard.”
-       Lucas Bonomo, Mooresville, NC

“Going to the Grand Canyon has been the most grand thing I have ever done.”
-       Tanner Hester, Whiteville, NC


“Just one emotional breakdown and I was good to go.”
-Jada Prichard, Eden, NC

“I am glad I wasn’t the two guys hiking the nine days to the river.”
-       Sarah Royster, Mooresville, NC

“It’s been real, it’s been fun, but it ain’t been real fun.”
-       Winston Wise, Cherryville, NC

“It was a GRAND time that totally rocked.”
-       Caroline McCrorey, Huntersville, NC

“I don’t always hike but when I do… I have a GRAND time.”
-       Jenna Tranthem, Mooresville, NC

“The Grand Canyon. I stayed behind and watched the sunrise. Most beautiful thing ever.”
             -     Kaitlin Greene, Mooresville, NC

“For the Lord is a great God, a great King, above all gods. The depths of the Earth are in His hands, and the mountain peaks are His. Come let us worship and bow down, let us kneel before the Lord our maker ~Psalms 95:3-6
-       Laura Parris, Union, SC

“Crying: acceptable at funerals and the Grand Canyon. ~Ron Swanson”
-       Jordyn Burrell, Gastonia, NC

“I’m more tired right now than I was when I had mono.”
             -      Callie Matthews, Lexington, SC

“Hike- was great, but I’ve decided I am never doing anything.”
             -      Caleb Bozard, Barnwell, SC

“Life’s a climb, but the view is great.”
            -       Lillian Sumner, Beaufort, SC

“Even though I walked through the valley of the shadow of death for three miles. I will fear no evil for my God is with me.”
-       Jenna Bright, Union, SC

“Wow.”
             -      Erin Sherrill, Statesville, NC

“Music it made it ten times better.”
            -Allie Temple, Belmont, NC

“The most beautiful but challenging thing that I have ever experienced…words can’t describe.”
-Mikayla Wright, Mooresville, NC

“I went into the canyon super psyched, and came out still psyched, just slightly dustier.”
-Sarah Whalen, Louisville, Kentucky

“The hole was deeper than a poet in a coal mine.”
-Ian Stines, Dallas, NC

“The Grand Canyon was beautiful, but I didn’t think the hike back up was going to end.”
-       Jessica Turney, Cherryville, NC

“The Grand Canyon was pretty even though I only remember the parts when I was conscious.”
 -MaryAnna Chewning, Mount Holly, NC

“Teamwork makes the dream work, especially in the Grand Canyon.”
-Kirsten Tevepaugh, Mooresville, NC

“Bruh…that was a big rock.”
-Mackenzie Wright, Mooresville, NC

“IDK…I’m just dead and need a nap.”
-Ashlee Hamrick, Kings Mountain, NC

“The Grand Canyon was simply breathtaking, but it made me realize how out of shape I am.”
-Sara McCarthy, Charlotte, NC

“Amazed is an understatement… the Grand Canyon is by far the most beautiful thing I have ever seen, especially with Dallas there.”
-Blessid Snow, Charlotte, NC

“The Grand Canyon is one of the most dangerous places I have ever been, but by far the most beautiful.”
-Kacie Barrett, Mooresville, NC

“It’s a great, big, beautiful rock. ~Spongebob Squarepants”
-Nicole Fortin, Mooresville, NC

“Waking up at 3:30 AM was definitely worth it.”
-       Baylee Willis, Bessemer City, NC

“12 miles in the Grand Canyon is still easier than Pinecrest’s cross country course.”
-       Tyler Sellers, Laurinburg, NC

“After 12 miles, I felt as dead as a puppy.”
-       Jordan Carlson, Lincolnton, NC

“Hiking 12 miles in the Grand Canyon was by far the most rewarding thing I’ve ever done.”
-Leah Mosner, Abbeyville, SC

“Seeing the Grand Canyon has made me realize how amazing God is.”
-Carly Kurtiak, Gastonia, NC

“I didn’t die, so that’s a plus. It was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever done.”
-Cody Haigler, Paigeland, SC

“That’s one absolutely gorgeous hole in the ground.”
-Kristina Sellers, Mooresville, NC

“Dude I love rocks, but when I saw the Grand Canyon, all I could say was ‘gnarly bro’, and then I cried a lil.”
-John Gray Blount, Cramerton, NC

“Something slight for the boys, just like Saturdays.”
-Timothy Sellers, Mooresville, NC

“I want some Taco Bell.”
-Seth McCahern, Moorseville, NC

“I wouldn’t have made it through if it wasn’t for my friends and the amazing staff. Awe inspiring.”
-Lizzey Love, Laurinburg, NC

“Thanks to the cashier at the gift shop (and hiking a giant hole in the ground), I had a pretty GRAND day.”
-Gia Lash, Huntersville, NC

“Going up the canyon was easier than trying to go poop in the first week.”
-Alicia Hutchins, Gastonia, NC



“Breathtaking is an understatement. The Grand Canyon is by far the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.”
-Katie Bowyer, Gastonia, NC



“Pictures just don’t justify it!!”
-Mary Helen Alford, Newberry, SC



“Breathtaking; I’m not sure if it was more the view or the hike up.”
-Logan Swain, Stokesdale, NC

“Never thought watching the sunrise with 80 friends from the worlds largest ditch would help me find a purpose.”
-Rylee Roller, Laurinburg, NC

“It’s literally one of the Seven Wonders of the World, so if hiking it isn’t amazing, I don’t know what is.”
-Richard Fernandez, Kings Mountain, NC

“I thought I would die, but I lived.”
-Kristina Vaher, Belmont, NC

“Y’all stop. Jada’s having another mental breakdown.”
-Sarah Bass, Elon, NC

“Teamwork makes the dream work…unless you’ve gotta pee.”
-Cole Frederick, Knoxville, TN

“I didn’t get to hike it, but it sounded fun.”
-Caleb Mann, Oxford, NC

“Just keep swimming, just keep swimming…”
-Felipe Moda, Sao Paulo, Brasil

“I only did it for the t-shirt.”
-Olivia Kafer, Roxboro, NC

“Hannah was more breathtaking than the canyon.”
-Tristen Brock, Union, SC

“When you see it and you say ‘wowie, its preeeeetty’.”
-Bailee Keller, Gastonia, NC

“Slight work.”
-Cameron Thomas, Gastonia, NC

“’Twas grand.”
-Isaac Allison, Marion, NC

“I want a Big Mac now.”
-Alaina Wallace, Laurel Hill, NC

“I don’t think I could have made the hike without all the support of friends.”
-Logan Mantooth, Gastonia, NC